The Drakensberg Mountains is a horse riding mecca in South Africa region where you can experience a whole range of horse riding, horse trails and horse demonstrations. Giants Castle region of the Drakensberg Mountains presents splendid opportunities for both the experienced and the beginner to ride this magnificent countryside on horseback and spend the day exploring the mountains. So to does the Champagne Valley and the Northern Drakensberg have a few very interesting horse riding options. Almost all the resorts in the Drakensberg offer guided horse trails, and several include overnight adventure rides for groups of five or more.
Horse trails through a game reserve brings you closer to game than you can possibly achieve on foot. Imagine that incredible feeling as you move amongst a large herd of giraffe or wander with a white rhino across open savannah in the Zulu Waters Private Game Reserve. Or simply view a large herd of impala against a backdrop of shimmering water and mountain at Spioenkop Dam.
Drakensberg horse trail and horse riding opportunities
- Antbear Horse Safaris offers very affordable horse trails in the foothills of the Drakensberg with spectacular views of Giants Castle. These horse trails are ideal for beginners and you could even get a horse riding lesson before the ride.
- Dragon Peaks horse trails. Lynne offers different horse trails so there for everyone. Dragon Peaks offers trails for advanced riders, intermediate riders and beginner horse riders.
- Zulu Waters Private Game Reserve.Horse tails that are perhaps the most spectacular horse riding option available anywhere in the world. Here you can get up close to Rhino and zebra and lots more than that. This is a perfect wildlife safari on horse back.
- Khotso Horse Trails offers overnight or 1 and 2 hour rides in the beautiful Southern Drakensberg Mountains on fine basotho horses. Our working cattle and horse farm is situated outside Underberg. Overnight in our comfortable self-catering cottages or log cabins. Enjoy trout fishing, river tubing and rafting in summer, snowboarding in winter and horse riding and mustering cattle on the farm.
- uShaka Horse trails central Drakensberg is situated at the foothills of the Cathkin, Champagne Castle mountain range. On a 600 acres farm bordering Bell Park dam ushaka Horse Trails offer unforgettable adventure trails on horse back.
- The Northern Horse provides an equine experience of a lifetime in the Northern Drakensberg! Climb mountains, forge rivers and race over plains atop hardy mountain horses and ponies and enjoy unspoilt scenery in the foothills of this World Heritage Site. One Hour Trails: Two grooms take groups of up to ten riders on trails around the Montusi Estate. Trails vary from gentle plains to steeper valley trails to suit all levels of confidence.
- Oaklands Country Manor offers world class riding facilities and equipment. This unique and relaxing activity is a great way to take in the gorgeous views and fresh mountain air. Horse riding activities include outrides and children’s arena rides on our beautifully schooled horses. Their experienced staff are on hand to assist beginners, whilst seasoned riders are welcome to explore the area unaccompanied following an assessment ride.