KwaZulu-Natal is a spectacular family friendly destination flanked by warm Indian Ocean and soaring mountain peaks. Nowhere in the world will you find such a fusion of raw natural beauty, modern sophistication, cultural diversity and pulsating energy – all in one breathtaking setting for you and your family to enjoy.
So, where to begin?
Thats an easy answer. The Drakensberg Mountains is really geared for family holidays. Most family holidays look for a holiday destination at one place and often the more affordable options com into play like self catering and camping and caravan resorts. Maybe you want your family to experience a classic African safari. Maybe hiding out in the snow capped mountains is more your style. The only thing the Drakensberg does not offer is the beach. Whatever your ideal family getaway is, here is our list of top family friendly things to do in the Drakensberg
1. Safari experiences in Nambiti and Zulu Waters private game reserves. Both are geared to hosting children offers some of the best African safari holidays including Big 5.
2. Family Road trips through the Midlands Meander. How about a family road trip through the KwaZulu Natal Midlands? The Midlands Meander is the perfect place “to wander at random” thanks to it’s collection of routes through the rolling hills of KZN. Offering a collection of chochlate dipping, candle making, crafts, shoping and other kids activities, it is the perfect outing for those wanting to have a slow paced family day.
3. Family Bonding in the Drakensberg Mountains. Divided into the Northern, Central and Southern Drakensberg, the mountain range offers a variety of leisure and extreme activities to suit everyone. Take to the mountain for hiking where there are hiking trails to suit the needs of every guest
4. Horse trails are a wonderful opportunity for your children to experience, Dragon Peaks offers trails specifically suited to children and Antbear Lodge offers beginner horse trails where children are lead as an introduction to learning to ride.
5. For those teenagers who are into that adrenaline thing there is abseiling, white water rafting, quad biking and canopy tours.
Scootours offers hours of fun on downhill scooters. Word of warning this might well become a daily demand.
Falcon Ridge Bird of prey demonstrations are a bewilderment for children. Top tip at the end of each show a small owl is fed and they always look for a child to do this. Make sure you have your kids primed and ready to volunteer. They will not be disappointed,
Win this 6 night holiday in the Drakensberg. We are doing market research as to how Covid 19 has changed the way people travel. Please take the survey. This is your chance to have your say and at the same time win big.