The Drakensberg and the Kwazulu Natal Midlands with the Midlands Meander offers an arts and crafts route joining art and craft outlets located in this region. Today there is a network of roads that link over 60 artists and crafters resinging in this beautiful part of South Africa.
There are lots of arts and crafts available in the Drakensberg region. Local communities are more and more developing a dynamic network of African artists and craftswomen in the Drakensberg region in Kwa Zulu Natal South Africa. The Artists are exhibiting their artwork mainly though community support projects.
Arts and Crafts in the making (Zululand)Rural pot makers following traditional techniques combine with bead, leather and wireworkers to produce a distinctive range of handmade gifts. Unique wood carvings porcupine quill jewelry basketwork fill out the range of arts and crafts on offer.
Through this craftwork the women express their natural creativity and generate skills and income, nurturing their families and developing their communities. There are many community upliftment programs mostly small scale motivated by self upliftment of the local people.
The women of the Drakensberg area are skilled in age-old handcrafts, such as the plaiting and weaving of indigenous grasses – a Zulu tradition that has been handed down from mother to daughter over generations. The woven grass (uhashu) creates baskets, bowls and mats in a wide variety of out-of-Africa colours. The men and young boys also produce uniquely sculptured clay animals and wood carvings
It is possible to buy locally produced arts and crafts from vendors at many other locations in KwaZulu Natal and South Africa. And its about supporting the local people that a route out of poverty can be created. Arts and crafts of South Africa offer just such an opportunity.
Directory of arts and crafts in the Drakesberg & Kwazul Natal Midlands.
- Mulberry Studios – Situated in Winterton framing, screen printing and. Open Monday to Friday – 8am to 5pm. Saturday- 8am to 1pm.
- The Antique Shop – situated in Winterton antiques, collectibles and pure cotton clothes. Open Monday to Friday – 8am to 5pm. Saturday- 8am to 1pm.
- Associated Game Industries – Situated in Winterton taxidermists. Leatherware, sheepskin slippers and a range of other high quality goods. Open Monday to Friday – 8am to 5pm. Saturday- 8am to 1pm.
- The Pantry – Situated in Winterton a variety of arts & crafts, biltong, seedlings. Open Monday to Friday – 8am to 5pm. Saturday- 8am to 1pm.
- The Winterton Tourism Hive – Situated in Winterton a selection of locally made arts & crafts and Eyethu pottery. Open Monday to Friday – 8am to 5pm. Saturday- 8am to 1pm.
- Thokozisa In the Central Drakensberg you will finda number of arts and craft shops are open 7 days a week from 9am to 4.30/5pm
- Living Art Gems – Situated at Thokozisa Gemstones, Bonsai, Original local artworks & crafts & much more…
- Hides of Africa – Situated at Thokozisa Leather craft, Hides & African curios
- San Rock Ridge – Situated at Thokozisa San related arts and crafts Zebu Crossing – Art deco & gifts
- The Ugly Duckling – Situated at Cederwood Village in the Central Drakensberg Furniture & crafts imported from Indonesia
- Mountain Moods – Situated at Cederwood Village Prints of mountain photographs by Mike Behr + DVD’s of photos
- Meadowsweet Herbs – Situated at Cederwood Village Health shop with soaps & creams made by Meadowsweet
- The Glass House – Situated at Cederwood Village a division of Glamosa selling glassware
- KwaZulu Weavers & Candle Factory Situated on the R600 towards Winterton – a great selection of rugs, candles and accessories. Open 7 days a week from 9am to 5pm.
- Reg Ströh’s Studio – bronze sculptures influenced by African game and San Rock Art.
- Ardmore Ceramics – Situated in Balgowan on the Midlands Meander started by the internationally renowned Fee Halstead-Berning and showcasing the work of Bonny Ntshalintshali, this studio draws on Zulu Mythology for its creative wares. Open from 9am to 2.30pm daily.
- Valley Bakery – Situated in the Champagne Valley an art gallery with an interesting selection. Open Monday to Friday – 7am to 5pm. Saturday- 7am to 1pm.
- Zulu craftwork – Also note that you will find excellent basketry and some beadwork on sale by Zulu ladies. They sell their wares at the Drakensberg Sun Hotel turnoff and near Champagne Castle Hotel gate.